WordWeb is a powerful free English thesaurus and dictionary. It comes with a local database of definitions, therefore it is very fast. In addition it offers to look up the word over the Internet if it is not found in the local database.
WordWeb is a comprehensive one-click English thesaurus and dictionary for Windows. It can be used to look up words from almost any program, showing definitions, synonyms and related words. It includes pronunciations and usage examples, and has helpful spelling and sounds-like links.
Wordweb is a feature rich software that does much more than a paper dictionary or thesaurus. WordWeb is truly a Word Web - each set of synonyms is linked to other related sets. Look up "tree", click on the "Types" tab and you'll have a list of different types of tree. Click on "Part of" and WordWeb will tell you that a tree can be part of a "forest" or "wood".
The fast easy-to-use program lets you:
1. One-click look up from almost any program, including MS Word
2. Tab pages to quickly check web references
3. Bookmark words
4. Highlights commonly used widely-understood words
5. Find words matching a pattern
6. Edit and add to the database
7. Solve and find anagrams
8. Copy results to the clipboard
9. Cross-reference to other installed electronic dictionaries
10. Search for words in a large number of optional extra word lists
11. Add your own custom glossaries
12. Configure for American, British, Canadian, Australian or Asian English
13. Option to hide (default) or flag vulgar and offensive related words
14. Reverse definition (full text) search
15. Cross-links words that sound the same (homonyms)
16. The extensive up-to-date dictionary database features:
Definitions and synonyms, including many compounds and proper nouns
Word relations: find antonyms, parts or types, less specific words, etc.
Over 126 000 synonym sets and 158 000 root words
Search over 260 000 words, compounds and derived forms
70 000+ pronunciations, with pop-up hint pronunciation key
49 000 usage examples
View alphabetically nearest words, suggestions for many misspellings
WordWeb Pro runs under Windows 98/2000/Me/XP and Vista. Sorry, there is no Mac, Palm or Pocket PC version. You do not need to be online to use WordWeb.
The license of this software is Free Trial Software, the price is $19.00, you can free download and get a free trial.