WinFIG is based on my earlier Amiga program called AmiFIG. The intention is not just to copy or clone Xfig. The file format and rendering will be as close to Xfig as possible, but the program will take advantage of Windows features like clipboard, printer preview, multiple documents etc. I tried to improve the user interface, so experienced Xfig users probably realize that the look&feel is not identical and some things work differently. The handling was changed to support a 2-button mouse. ...and btw I think that is much more usable.
Just like XFig, WinFIG has become quite popular among academic users for it's ability to use LaTeX syntax for texts as well as exporting to PSTricks, embedding PostScript or PDF into LaTeX or producing pure LaTeX output. So there is quite a range of options to fit WinFIG into a LaTeX environment, but of course it's not limited to that.
1. Compose drawings using ellipses, circles, polygons, splines, arcs, arrows, images, text objects
2. Draw solid, dashed or dotted lines with miter, round or beveled joins
3. Use colors and patterns
4. Manipulate your drawings by moving, stretching, flipping, aligning
5. Create compound objects
6. Arrange objects in different layers to control the order in which they overlap
7. Use grid and magnet and constraints for geometry (e.g. to create LaTeX compatible lines only)
8. Export to box, CGM, EMF, epic, ge, GIF, IBMGL, dxf, JPEG, LaTeX, map, MetaFont, MetaPost, PCX, PDF, pic, pictex, PNG, (Encapsulated)PostScript, ppm, pstex, PSTricks, shape, sld, SVG, tk and others
9. Smart links to support diagram techniques, i.e. for creating connections between nodes.
* The Visual Studio redistributable package may be needed on some systems.
* Exporting to PDF or bitmap formats (PNG, JPEG etc.) requires a GhostScript installation.
* For preview of LaTeX formatted texts you need a TeX installation.
* For preview of EPS objects you need a GhostScript installation.
* Without a keyfile WinFIG only saves a maximum of 15 objects per figure
The license of this software is Free Trial Software, the price is $35.00, you can free download and get a free trial.