SplitFile's goal is to split (chop) big file in smaller segments to be able to store them in floppy disks or CDs (these are just examples, the target size is fully customizable).
The main feature if compared to other programs like this, is the ability to support very large files( up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 bytes = 8589934591 GB , theoric) and to being configured to increase performances if used with fast disks ( adjusting the read and write buffer up to 32 times the commonly used value).
Splitfile is available in English, Italian and Russian.
1. A lot of size preset: not only standard ones (floppy and CD-R) but also uncommon ones (ZIP disk, 800MB CD-R, DVD-R) You can choose to split the file according to the desiderated size or to the number of parts you need
2. Several units selectable (from bytes to GB). Only SplitFile let you split GB of data!
3. You can choose the read/write buffer to improve performances (SplitFile's exlusive feauture)
4. You can pause the task
5. Two (2) join methods: through the Graphical User Interface ( GUI ) of this program, or through an executable file that anyone can use, even if they do not have SplitFile.
6. You can choose to be asked before overwriting a file that already exists
7. You can directly Split/Join the files in a destination folder different from the source one(to easily find the files) and also on different drives (to speed up the process)
8. It is freeware
SplitFile is not:
SplitFile isn't a specific video or audio editing program: you'll be able to playback files split with SplitFile only after merging them. SplitFile is a generic splitting program for any file, and single parts of a file normally cannot be used alone.
If you want to split a video file in more parts, while being able to playback them, you'll have to use a specif video editing program such as VirtualDub while to split audio files in several autonomous parts you can use Audacity
The license of this software is Freeware, you can free download and free use this file splitter software.