Raw Therapee is a free RAW converter and digital photo processing software. It is available for Windows and for Linux and is actively developed.
It is used to adjust some of the most often changed parameters when optimizing digital images. A normal user often just wants to adjust the white balance or brightness of a photo he took. Instead of using a big and expensive image editor you could use a small and fast (specialized) tool like RawTherapee.
More and more cameras also support RAW formats. RAW files usually offer higher color depth than JPGs (JPG is limited to 8 Bit per color). So the adjustments are done with the high color depth and then afterwards converted to or saved as JPGs. Thus you loose no picture detail in the JPG as you would when changing the JPG itself.
RawTherapee supports JPG (8 bit), PNG (8 or 16 bit) and TIFF (8 or 16 bit). All image processing is done in 16 bit/channel mode.
1. Selectable high performance demosaicing algorithms (EAHD and HPHD and VNG-4).
2. Compare them on this comparison page.
3. Using DCRaw 8.82/1.398 for decoding RAW images
4. Image post processing in 16 bit / channel mode
5. ICC based color management
6. Change History with bookmarks to support before/after checking
7. File browsing with thumbnails
8. Localization supported (utf8 language file):
9. already included languages are: czech, deutsch, english, espanol, italian, latvian, magyar, nederlands, polish, russian, slovak, swedish
1. Supported file formats:
2. JPEG (8 bit), PNG (8 or 16 bit), TIFF (8 or 16 bit)
3. Image ouput size could be set
4. EXIF data is preserved in JPEG output (except crw files)
5. Output directory and automatic file naming highly customizable
The raw loading engine of RawTherapee is based on dcraw1 (RawTherapee 2.4.1 uses DCRaw 8.97). This means that all cameras supported by dcraw are also supported, that use a classical RGB Bayer pattern sensor.
If your camera is not listed, but works with the software; or if it is listed but RawTherapee can not read it, please send me an email to: gabor at rawtherapee dot com.
Supported Cameras, i.e. formats:
1. Adobe Digital Negative (DNG)
2. Canon PowerShot G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, SD300, S30, S40, S45, S50, S60, S70, Pro1, S2 IS, S3 IS, S5 IS, A460, A470, A530, A570, A590, A610, A620, A630, A640, A650, A710 IS, A720 IS, SX1 IS, SX10
3. Canon EOS D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 300D (Digital Rebel), 350D (Digital Rebel XT), 400D (Digital Rebel XTi), 450D (Digital Rebel XSi), 500D (Digital Rebel T1i), 1000D (Digital Rebel XS), 1D, 1Ds, 1D Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark II N, 1Ds Mark II, 1Ds Mark III
4. Casio QV-2000UX, QV-3000EX, QV-3500EX, QV-4000, QV-5700, QV-R51, QV-R61, EX-S100, EX-Z4, EX-Z50, EX-Z55, Exilim Pro 505/600/700
5. Kodak DC20, DC25, DC40, DC50, DC120, DCS315C, DCS330C, DCS420, DCS460, DCS460A, DCS520C, DCS560C, DCS620C, DCS620X, DCS660C, DCS660M, DCS720X, DCS760C, DCS760M, EOSDCS1, EOSDCS3B, NC2000F, PB645C, PB645H, PB645M, DCS Pro 14n, DCS Pro 14nx, DCS Pro SLR/c, DCS Pro SLR/n, P850, P880
6. Minolta RD175, DiMAGE 5, 7, 7i, 7Hi, A1, A2, A200, G400, G500, G530, G600, Z2, Dynax/Maxxum 5D, Dynax/Maxxum 7D
7. Nikon D1, D1H, D1X, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3X, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s,D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D700, D3000, D5000, E2100, E3700, E5400, E8400, E8700, E8800, Coolpix P6000
8. Olympus C3030Z, C5050Z, C5060WZ, C7070WZ, C70Z, C7000Z, C740UZ, C770UZ, C8080WZ, E-1, E-3, E-10, E-20, E-300, E-330, E-400, E-410, E-420, E-500, E-510, E-520, E-620, E-P1, SP310, SP320, SP350, SP500UZ, SP510UZ, SP550UZ, SP560UZ, SP570UZ
9. Panasonic DMC FZ8, FZ18, FZ28, FZ30, FZ50, FX150, L1, LC1, LX1, LX2, LX3, L10, L1, G1, GH1, GF1
10. Pentax *ist D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2, K100D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D, K2000/K-m, K7
11. Sony DSC-R1, DSC-V3, DSLR-A100, A200, A300, A350, A700, A900
12. Samsung GX-1S, GX-10
13. Fuji FinePix E550, E900, F700, F710, F800, F810, S2Pro, S3Pro, S5Pro, S20Pro, S5000, S5100/S5500, S5200/S5600, S6000fd, S6500fd, S7000, S9000/S9500, S9100/S9600, IS-1
14. Some Sinar, Phase One, Leaf, AVT, Leica, Hasselblad, Imacon, Mamiya cameras.
The license of this software is Free, you can free download and free use this digital photo software.