MuseScore is a free and open source music scorewriter. MuseScore is a WYSIWYG editor, complete with support for score playback and import/export of MusicXML and standard MIDI files. Percussion notation is supported, as is direct printing from the program.
The program has a clean user interface, with fast note editing input similar to the step-time note entry found in the popular commercial Scorewriting software packages, Finale and Sibelius.
MuseScore is free software, published under the GNU General Public License.
MuseScore is able to import and export from many different music formats, including MIDI and MusicXML, as well as the importing of files from the commercial music arranging software, such as Band-in-a-Box. It is able to produce engraved output as a PDF, SVG or PNG document, or alternatively, music can be exported to LilyPond for subsequent tweaking of the output.
MuseScore in a nutshell via bullets:
1. Cross Platform (Linux and Windows) and GNU GPL
2. WYSIWYG editing
3. Wizard Setup funtions
4. UNLIMITED number of staves
5. 4 voices (or parts) per staff
6. Easy and fast note entry with mouse, keyboard or MIDI
7. Import and export Music XML
8. Automatic note head positioning
9. DRUM NOTATION INCLUDED!!!
10. Cross Staff beaming ability
11. Unlimited time and key changes
12. Pickup note measure supported
13. Slur editing
14. Unlimited Lyrics
15. Unlimited Chord names
16. Grace Notes
17. Part extraction
18. Plugins are supported!
19. Midi/XML/PNG Export
20. Mixer function
21. Soundfont capable
22. Partial interpretation of Expressions and repeats
The license of this software is Freeware, you can free download and free use this music composer software.