Kangas Sound Editor QI
Kangas Sound Editor QI is a sound editor that allows the user to create music and sound effects. It uses a system of frequency ratios for pitch control, rather than conventional music notation and equal temperament. It allows instruments, both musical and percussion, to be created.
1. The user can create music and sound-effects with it.
2. It uses a system of frequency ratios for pitch control, rather than conventional music notation.
3. Instruments, both melodic and percussion, can be created from scratch by specifying harmonics/inharmonics.
4. There is a cellular-like structure to compositions, with cells representing entities at low levels of abstraction (e.g. harmonics) and at higher levels of abstraction (e.g. chord groups). For details of cell types used by the program, click here
5. User-definable graphs are widely used in the program, e.g. for control of volume and pitch envelopes, and for shifting the balance of stereo over time.
6. Audio output is to uncompressed .WAV files.
7. The Kangas Sound Editor uses an external database engine (MySQL) for storage of compositions and other data (e.g. graphs and harmonics), whereas the Kangas Sound Editor QI uses an internal database engine (HSQLDB).
8. From version 3, users can collaborate with and build on the work of other users through an XML import/export facility.
9. The software is open-source, and is free to download and use.
The functionality corresponds to that of Kangas Sound Editor, except for the database - the Kangas Sound Editor QI comes with its own bundled database engine (HSQLDB), whereas the Kangas Sound Editor needs MySQL to be downloaded and installed separately. This makes installation of the Kangas Sound Editor QI quicker than installing the Kangas Sound Editor.
The license of this software is Freeware, you can free download and free use this audio editing software.